Friday, August 22, 2008

Psalms of Ascent Part 13

Psa 132:1 A Song of degrees. LORD, remember David, and all his afflictions:
Psa 132:2 How he sware unto the LORD, and vowed unto the mighty God of Jacob;
Psa 132:3 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed;
Psa 132:4 I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
Psa 132:5 Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.
Psa 132:6 Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood.
Psa 132:7 We will go into his tabernacles: we will worship at his footstool.
Psa 132:8 Arise, O LORD, into thy rest; thou, and the ark of thy strength.
Psa 132:9 Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.
Psa 132:10 For thy servant David's sake turn not away the face of thine anointed.
Psa 132:11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
Psa 132:12 If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.
Psa 132:13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
Psa 132:14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.
Psa 132:15 I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread.
Psa 132:16 I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy.
Psa 132:17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed.
Psa 132:18 His enemies will I clothe with shame: but upon himself shall his crown flourish.

This Psalm shows something of the heart of David towards God. In David’s heart God came first. Before he rested he wanted to be sure that God had a place of rest. From this heart came the tabernacle of David on Zion. This resulted in the promises of God to David, and blessing flowing from Zion to the city and nation round about.

On a personal level this gives us a key to obtaining the promises, presence and blessings of God. This is giving God a place of rest. Making a place for God to dwell in our own lives and placing Him before anything else. It is letting nothing prevent or rob the time you spend with God. From this inner life the blessings flow outward. Verse 17 shows us that it is in the hidden devotional time that power and guidance are obtained. As Walter Beutler said it, “If you build God a house of worship, He will build you a house of ministry.”

No comments: