Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on Third John 1:11

“Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.”

In this verse the Apostle John shows us that we are shown to be good or evil not only by what we initiate in doing, but also in what we imitate. The immediate context is a church situation in which one man, Diotrephes, was asserting his own authority by undermining John’s and in a high-handed manner generally lording it over the flock of God. John writes to Gaius concerning this situation and asks him to look after a man whom he was sending to this area, since Diotrephes had not allowed the church to respond to John’s letter which he had already written (for anyone who has been in a church situation for any length of time this scenario should seem somewhat familiar). This verse is a good reminder to all Christians. We may be in a situation where there are leaders who lead from self-seeking motives (I thank God that I can say that’s not my situation, but I have seen enough to know that it is more common than may be realized). Our choice is in who we imitate. God may have placed me under a person, I should not rebel nor should I leave unless God gives me a release. However, nothing in Scripture tells me I have to follow a bad example. The people whom I follow, idolize, and imitate tell much about my own character. Proverbs 3:31 tells us, “Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.”

God allows men of varying character to have positions in the church to test us. Do we also have selfish ambition? Would we also use others for our own gain or would we rather as Christ lay down our lives for others? Who we make our hero shows who we are.

I remember reading an article about a certain Christian rock group. They were asked who their role models were. I do not remember all the names they mentioned, but their first choice was, “the Beatles.” Let’s be honest, choosing a group that directly exalted themselves against Christ is a dead give-away about both your own motives and your moral compass. Clearly you value ability and talent over character. Everyone of us has been granted some measure of ability, talent and position of leadership by God. Our test is very simple, do we use our talent for God, or abuse it to usurp glory, fame, wealth, etc… for ourself (even if like Diotrephes, we do it in a church). The one is the way of Christ, the other the way of Lucifer. Who is our role model? Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good!

No comments: