Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Back in Malawi

I arrived back in Malawi on Saturday. My first recollection as I disembarked from the plane was how hot it is here. Sure South Africa was a lot hotter than Erie was, because the seasons are polar opposites, but neither compared to the raw heat coming off of the pavement as I walked towards the immigration building. When it starts raining it should cool off a little, but until then a fan helps a lot (actually as I write this it has started raining and gotten much cooler) . Sunday my parents were in Dedza ministering at a church there, I was holding down the fort here. While I was doing that I got the wifi network setup, which should make things easier for us here. After a little niggle I managed to get the internet connection shared too. This all simplifies backing up files without using a flashdisk to move stuff around.
Conditions in Malawi are around normal, we have electric outages every other night. We also are having a diesel shortage, dad got the pickup filled up the day before I arrived back, but he spent 8 hours finding a station that had it and waiting in line to get it. Our new pickup is running well. The old one is awaiting replacement of its springs (4th time this year) and brakes. Dad was going to drive down to Luchenza (1 ½ hours SE) to deliver some tin for a church, but the trip has had to be postponed.
Mom has finished ironing a lot of the clothes we buy in bales and then distribute for Christmas. Yesterday I spent most of the morning dividing 50 kg bags of beans into 1kg packets for distribution (this will be a reccuring task for the next few months especially in the lead up to Christmas). Today I partially sorted out a printer problem (a little bit of tape was on the copper circuit preventing the printer from recognizing its presence), only to run into a second one (the cartridge ran out of ink halfway through the 3rd page anyway).
This Sunday I will be ministering in one church in Luchenza, while dad ministers in another one in the area. That’s a pretty brief summary of this last week and what is coming up this week.

No comments: