Sunday, January 03, 2010

John 14 As A Betrothal

A few weeks ago as I was reading in John, I read again through some of the best passages of Scripture. John chapters 13-17 are really a life times worth of study to extract even a little of what is said.

One things that struck me as I read John 14 again is how it almost seems to bear certain aspects of betrothal in it. I may be a little off on this, but I lay it out for the consideration of those who read this.

1. In Jewish custom of the day shortly after the betrothal and before the wedding the groom-to-be would go to his area and prepare the house for the bride, then return for her when it was ready. The wedding was then celebrated. The fact that the journey could be longer or shorter made it necessary for the wedding party who carried lamps to be ready whenever he arrived, as seen in the parable of the ten virgins. After the wedding feast the groom would take the bride to their home where they would live together and make their new life together. Compare that with John 14:2-3.

Joh 14:2-3 "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, so that where I am, you may be also."

2. Another aspect of betrothal in the Jewish custom of the time was the intermutuality of property. From the time of betrothal the woman was seen to be under the authority of her husband to be and to have surrendered all property to him. On the other hand she also at the same time obtained a right to all that was his. I think this might have some bearing on verses 13 and 14.

"And whatever you may ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."

3. The responsibilities of the relationship are spelled out. These are very simple yet also very comprehensive. If you love Me keep My commandments.

4. For a betrothal to be valid it had to be done in a clearly provable way. Either with a written document declaring that intention or in the presence of witnesses. Also it invariably was done with the presentation of a gift or token of the intention, much like our engagement ring is used today.

I think Christ's gift which is a token of His betrothal is found in verse 27, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

His peace is thus a token that we belong to Him and we should always be found wearing it. we should let the peace of God keep our hearts and minds.

To God be the glory! Amen.

No comments: