Tuesday, February 27, 2007

George Wishart – A Prophet of The Reformation

In 1543, Wishart was studying in Cambridge and apparently during that time became converted. In 1544, he determined to return to his native Scotland and preach the Gospel there. He preached for a short time at Montrose and then went on to Dundee.

While there an interesting event occurred, as he was preaching he was interrupted by one of the chief men of the town, who told him not to trouble the town any more. Wishart replied, “God is my witness, that I never minded your trouble but your comfort; yea, your trouble is more grievous to me than it is to yourselves: but I am assured to refuse God's Word, and to chase from you His messenger, shall not preserve you from trouble, but shall bring you into it: for God shall send you ministers that shall fear neither burning nor banishment. I have offered you the Word of salvation. With the hazard of my life I have remained among you; now you yourselves refuse me; and I must leave my innocence to be declared by my God. If it be long prosperous with you, I am not led by the Spirit of truth; but if unlooked-for troubles come upon you, acknowledge the cause and turn to God, who is gracious and merciful. But if you turn not at the first warning, He will visit you with fire and sword.”

He left Dundee shortly afterwards. Four days later, a severe plague broke out and many of the townspeople began to die. When Wishart heard of this he returned to Dundee, in spite of attempts by his friends to prevent it, to see if they would be more responsive. They were, and many were then converted.

An attempt was made on his life there, by a priest who had a dagger concealed under his cloak. He was waiting for Wishart at the bottom of the pulpit after he had finished his sermon, but as Wishart went to him and grabbed the dagger that was in his hand but still hidden in his sleeves as he said, “My friend, what would you have.” The priest was startled and confessed his intentions. Wishart then had to intercede on his behalf as the people wanted to kill him.

Later a letter was sent to him as he was in another place to lure him into a trap. He began to go, but shortly said, “I will not go; I am forbidden of God; I am assured there is treason. Let some of you go to yonder place, and tell me what you find.” They went and discovered the plot. He then told them that while he would die by Cardinal Beaton’s hand it would not be in this manner.

Shortly before his martyrdom, he was heard by two of his friends to be praying one night very fervently. They asked him about it and he told them that his warfare was nearing it’s end, and asked them to pray that he might not shrink from it in the end.

He was burned at the stake on March 1, 1546, but shortly before this was done he saw Cardinal Beaton, watching the proceedings from the top of the castle, and told one nearby that he who was so at ease now would soon, be cast down ignominiously. This shortly came to pass.

No comments: