Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Preaching Christ

Before I begin writing on this subject, let me ask you, “what do you think is meant by preaching Christ?” When Paul wrote to the Corinthians, “I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified” (1 Cor. 2:2), was he referring only to the message of salvation through the cross, or to something more? If any of His other epistles are of help in showing his message it was something more.

He preached a triumphant Christ, who had defeated every principality and power (Col. 2:15), a Christ who needs no additives or substitutes (Col. 2:10). He preached a Christ that is the Head from which all direction and nourishment flows (Col. 2:19). All of his multitude of rays of theology all found there source and purpose in the One of whom he wrote, “For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.” (Rom. 11:36).

Could one reason perhaps why we do not see results like Paul’s, be because we do not preach Christ like he did? We speak and see little response. We preach on modesty and yet are continually confronted with immodesty. We blame the sheep for being rebellious. Some of them are, but with many that is a symptom, not the disease. The problem is we have not really, fully preached Christ.

Let me show you a scenario. Imagine a marathon. Now in this marathon there is a runner who has a trainer instructing him. Imagine if the trainer tells him that the race doesn’t matter and he can run however he feels like and even in the wrong direction. Clearly something would be wrong with that. Now imagine that this trainer is constantly running alongside this runner and sometimes holding up a chocolate bar, saying, “come on if you take that next step you can have this.” At other times he has a whip and threatens, “if you don’t take that next step this is what you will get.” This image also is absurd, the trainer would be doing more work than the athlete. It all falls into place when the trainer has convinced the athlete that the race is worth winning. Once that has happened the athlete will prepare and discipline himself to the utmost so that he can win.

Paul understood this. We lay Christ before the people, by the grace of God in His entirety. When we have done that and they have grasped Him, the race makes sense. They no longer run aimlessly any way they want, nor are they motivated only by our threats and favours. They run to win Christ. They can only do that if they see Christ though. Many of our problems originate from trying to make people who have never really seen Christ try to discipline themselves to run. If we can show them Christ our problem will be keeping them back.

Paul having already preached Christ to his churches could challenge them to walk worthy of the one who called you (1 Thess. 2:12; Col. 1:10). In order to challenge someone with that they must have a proper idea of His worth. With this key, every door begins to open. It works first in our own lives. When I battle with unforgiveness, I remind myself, I do not forgive because the person deserves it. Whoever deserves forgiveness? I forgive because Christ forgave and He deserves that I should forgive others. If I battle with sin, I look to Christ is He not able to deliver me and change my desires. I am complete in Him. His power in me can snap whatever bondage, however long it has been a habit. If my manner of dressing offends someone in the church and I am aware of it. As I stand ready to dress for service, what do I do? “That is their problem they are too critical.” That may be true, but can you not wear something else out of love for Christ. Not because their opinion matters, whose does? Instead wear it because the Christ who died for you also died for them and would be grieved if you grieved them. On the other side, if I see someone wearing something I consider inappropriate, do I berate them? Can I not for the sake of Him who forbears much with me forbear with them for a short time. Am I upset because of the shame it brings to God, or is it more from the reproach it casts upon my church? We have to be careful, because often our desire to instruct is born out of busibodiness abetted by a mistaken belief that we are the “unto Him” to whom those in Jude v24 are committed.

The answer for every problem is Christ, the difference is merely one of attributes. Do we need His healing, His love, His patience, His wisdom, etc…

What do I do if they won’t listen when I point them to Christ? At that point there is not much you can do. I can only point people to Christ and show them what He desires, if they have no fear of displeasing Him, and no desire to please Him, than unless God changes their desires they are lost. God forbid that any man who will not listen to Christ should listen to me when I speak. As an ambassador, if you are at odds with my ruler, it would be strange if you were to be pleased when I speak on his behalf.

There is an everlasting gospel that we should focus on preaching. When we are in heaven we will still be preaching that. Should I be allowed the inestimable privilege of preaching in heaven, what would I be preaching? I would not there be preaching on wives submitting to their husbands or on husbands loving their wives, there would be no need. Nor would I be preaching on modesty, or many other things that are necessary now. However, I could still preach on the incomparableness of Christ, His love toward us which sparked our love towards Him, His nature and goodness. Nothing would be better than to see Him listening as I bare my soul’s love of Him and His greatness before Him and others. If He is lifted up He will draw men unto Himself. So let us lift Him up!

No comments: