Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Brief Synopsis Of My Church History Criteria

Ok, after my first church history post I realize that I probably had a couple of people asking, "Sava..who". That's part of the point to this whole thing. Most of us have a certain circle of figures in church history that we know or at least their names ring a bell. Usually these are figures that have either founded or helped found our particular strain of theology or the antagonists of these founders.

I am trying to just bring various Christians to the knowledge of my readership and some of the character qualities I think we can learn from them. Just because I post something on someone doesn't mean I endorse everything about that person or every view they espoused. The ones I write on will be those that I feel were true Christians in an evangelical sense of the word, whether they actually belonged to an evangelical church or not (a few examples of people I would consider in this light would be Roman Catholics like Fenelon, Mdme Guyon, Thomas A Kempis, etc...) My main criteria for these postings is does what these people have said and written bear the imprint of Christ upon their lives. Was their fruit good? Was the Spirit of God visibly at work in them producing the fruit of the Spirit in their lives?

In Heb. 1:3, Christ is said to be the express image of God. The Greek word for express image is the basis of our English word, "character", and had a two fold meaning, 1. it was a likeness of something. 2. It was the tool used to form this likeness.

This is the essence of character. 1. Did these people bear the image of Christ as He was formed in them by the Holy Spirit? 2. Did they further become instruments for impressing others with that same image? 3. Did their life and doctrine promote holiness and seeking after Christ?

These are all things I consider as I write these posts.

May God grant us all that we might have His character.

No comments: