Friday, October 20, 2006

Perfection/Reprobation

For those interested this post is going to deal with 2 words used in the NT. These two words are "teleioo" and "adokimos".

Teleioo is derived from "teleios" which is usually translated perfect in the KJV with one instance of it being translated as "man" and once "of full age". It carries the thought of both perfection and maturity. I want to look at this word from one specific facet found in two verses, Hebrews 5:8,9.

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him."

These two verses refer to Christ being made perfect through the things He suffered... Now we know that Christ was born without sin so in that sense He was already perfect so what does this expression mean here?

Here's my take on it. I believe that the word "perfect" can be related to use, for example, I am not extremely handy with tools, sometimes I struggle trying to use the wrong tool on a given object. ie... pliers instead of a wrench on a nut, sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. So one day as I was battling on something of that kind one of my friends saw my struggle and loaned me one of his tools (in this case it was a phillips screwdriver instead of the flat one I was using) and I said, "Thanks, that's perfect!"

In one sense that is what perfection is - being perfectly formed to handle the task that God has for you at that time. Jesus had to suffer to be tempted in every point and to fulfill all the prophecies that had been spoken of Him. In that sense suffering perfected Him by preparing Him to be our great High Priest who ever lives to make intercession for us (Hebrews 4:15).

In the same way God has tasks and stages in our lives, His dealings with us are two fold, He has something that He wants us to do then and He also is dealing in our lives bringing us to the state of readiness to complete that task and also to be able to go on to the next stage. To use another analogy there is some behaviour which is cute in a four-year-old, that loses it's cuteness in a ten-year-old. In the same way as we grow in the Lord there needs to be a maturing so that we can effectively minister at the new level.

I don't know how many of you have had a screwdriver which had a head that was worn away. The sort that can sometimes work, but other times it just can't turn the screw or it even strips the screw head. That's what happens if we don't let God mature us through suffering, we can become a screwdriver that is sometimes more of a hindrance than a help. We become limited in our use to God. Paul speaks about this in 2 Tim. 2:19-21, where he mentions vessels of honour and dishonour. We can disqualify ourselves from our full destiny in Christ by not being found ready for a task when it comes. Even worse we can become a vessel of dishonour, God still loves us and uses us, but it is for a much lower purpose than was originally intended.

Eventually if a tool is very badly damaged, it can't be used any more, it is thrown away. That is what the word "adokimos" refers too. It is usually rendered "reprobate", concisely it means "not fit for the intended use." This is a solemn warning to all of us.

When the Bible speaks of a reprobate mind what does it mean? Well, our minds were intended to contemplate heavenly realities, meditate on God's Word, and think of God. When someone is given over to a reprobate mind, their mind has so degenerated that they can no longer do any of these things, they may be brilliant by worldly standards, even be considered geniuses, or mental giants, but yet their mind can not do the one thing that a human mind should... contemplate the true nature of God.

May God grant that we stay on the path of progressive maturity and increasing usefulness, and away from the path of increasing disfunctionality and ultimate uselessness.

Update:

A friend of mine read this post and had a couple of questions so here are a few clarifications on those questions:

1. Are vessels of dishonour saved?

I would say, "yes", because my text says in a great house... I read that as saying that these vessels of Dishonour are in the house. Ie... they are in the household of faith. There are some Christians that God loves to bring out and parade to the world, kind of like His good china porcelain. Others are like dishes that He can still use but not in front of visitors.

2. Are reprobates saved?

I don't know, I didn't think my article could be read this way, but maybe I wasn't clear. No. Paul states clearly in 2 Cor. 13:5 that they aren't..."Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" Okay, so let me make that clear there are various levels of honour and dishonour, in our text their are 4 levels: Gold, Silver, Wood, and Earth, but a reprobate person would be in my understanding a cracked earthen pot. One that has gone beyond any use to God in His kingdom.

I have no desire to state where that line is for any given person, I just want to be personally sure that I am allowing God to purify me and prepare me to bring honour to Him, and I am encouraging others to do the same.

No comments: