Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Faith Of The Son Of God

In Gal. 2:20 Paul says, “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

I recently had a thought on this that I’d thought I’d share.

What is the faith of the Son of God? How does it show itself?

I am sure we could all look at the mighty miracles that Christ did and all the faith He manifested in those. But that is not the epitome of His faith. Yes, His faith worked miracles, but His faith was an implicit trust in the Father, that the Father is good and that He will always do what is best. It’s the faith that Adam and Eve lost in the garden when they began to believe that God was holding out on them something that was good for them. And every one of us has suffered from a lack since then.

When Jesus came He had that faith and it was manifested in crystal clear form in His life. He knew that His God and Father would take care of Him. He never doubted that, even though the devil tempted Him three times with, “If you are the Son of God.” They all questioned His faith, “If Your Father really loves you…prove it.” He overcame those temptations and prepared for the cross.

As He was on the cross His faith was again tested as the enemy used those around Him to say, “He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.” “If He will have Him.” In other words the enemy was trying to sow doubt, “If you lay down your life, will God really take you, will He really raise you up.”

Jesus not only endured all the physical agony of the cross, but He also had to fight through all the doubt that the enemy was striving to create in Him. No one was with Him, even His mother and the disciple John who were there to witness probably did not know what was happening, they may even have had doubts. Jesus, however, fought the good fight of faith.

He laid His life down with the words, “It is finished.” As He did that He staked His all on the fact that God would deliver Him and raise Him from the dead. He had no backup plan, once He was dead, He was dead. That is the faith of the Son of God. That is the faith that we fall far short of, but that God wants to bring us into.

Let us also aim for this faith, to allow God to work it in our lives.

No comments: